We only list links that we (curator and contributing bloggers) have vetted. That means when we recommend something here it is not because we were paid to do so, but because we have personally experienced whatever it is we are endorsing. When a resource is an ad or sponsored page, we will tell you that flat out; complete transparency.
In order to keep the site up and running with quality content, you may find affiliate links from time to time; clicking those links helps keep the site maintained, updated, and dynamic. Thanks in advance.
Arrows may not center when in edit mode. Once site is published, the arrow will be centered on the tab
When the site is published, this border and note will not show up.
Drag & drop your tab 1 content here
The Unofficial Art Journaling Glossary
- Art Journal - a bound book filled with painted papers chronicling life through pictures, drawings, mixed media, and words.
- Acrylic Paint - Acrylic paint is a fast-drying paint containing pigment suspension in acrylic polymer emulsion. Acrylic paints are water soluble, but become water-resistant when dry. Depending on how much the paint is diluted with water or modified with acrylic gels, media, or pastes, the finished acrylic painting can resemble a watercolor or an oil painting, or have its own unique characteristics not attainable with other media. (from Wikipedia)
- Acrylic Ink - permanent and water resistant fluid acrylic that dries quickly. You can easily achieve effects similar to watercolor.
- Brayer - a printmaking tool used to spread paint and ink onto a surface.
- Gel Mediums - They are used to create glazes, extend paint and change finishes. Gels are essentially colorless paint, as they utilize the same 100% acrylic polymers as acrylic paint. Gels are also excellent adhesives for collage and mixed media, they dry with excellent flexibility with chemical, water and UV resistance. (from the Golden Paints website)
- Gesso - a medium that provides a surface to which paint can adhere. It is a way to prepare surfaces so they can take paint. Some brands of gesso add to the life of the artwork. Gesso comes in white, black, gray, and clear.
- Mixed Media - combining several artistic (and non-artistic) mediums to create a unique work of art.
- Nature Journal - a bound book filled with artistic expressions of nature and the journalers relationship to the natural world.
- Visual Journal - (see art journal and nature journal)
- Watercolor - a painting method in which the paints are made of pigments suspended in a water-soluble vehicle. The term "watercolor" refers to both the medium and the resulting artwork. (from Wikipedia)
Drag & drop your tab 3 content here
Paid Classes We Endorse
Drag & drop your tab 4 content here
**NOTE: In some cases these hops will be done and the give-a-ways will be closed, but you can still hop from blog to blog and learn new tips and techniques.
Drag & drop your tab 5 content here
Free Art Challenges
Looking for a way to build, restart, or sustain your art journaling practice? What better way than month-long, year-long, or life-long art journal challenges?
Here are some we love.
- Embrace Your Art Daily (led by Tiare Smith)
- Journal 52 — Journal52 is a FREE year-long creative art journal workshop developed by art journalist Chelle Stein. (recommended by Tiare Smith)
- Art Journal Tangents & Tactics with Daisy Yellow (recommended by Kiala Givehand)
- Wildly Inspired — a monthly art journaling series with Effy Wild (recommended by Kiala Givehand)
- Art Journal Everyday — a weekly feature by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer. It appears every Friday. The Art Journal Every Day (AJED) posts are always art journal focused, though not necessarily focused on daily art journaling. (recommended by Kiala Givehand)
- Creative Every Day and Art Every Day Month (November each year) with Leah Piken Kolidas — neither of these is specific to art journals, but you can take the challenge and create in an art journal. (recommended by Kiala Givehand)
- The Documented Life Project (DLP) by Roben-Marie Smith, Rae Missigman, Sandi Keene, and Lorraine Bell. (Recommended by Kiala Givehand)
- Index-Card-A-Day with Daisy Yellow -- Starts in June each year (Recommended by Kiala Givehand)
Drag & drop your tab 6 content here
Watch These Art Journalers Live on Ustream
Drag & drop content here. This gap will be hidden if you don't put any content here when site is published